Tens of thousands of students apply to Oxford and Cambridge every year, meaning that on average, five students compete for every place, so there is no guarantee of success for even the brightest applicants. These elite institutions seek the most able and best qualified students from every background and every part of the world.
Whilst the application process is fiercely competitive, tutors at Lansdowne College can give an honest appraisal to all students wishing to be considered and those identified as having the potential to succeed are thoroughly mentored through the Oxbridge Programme.
At Oxford and Cambridge admissions decisions are preceded by a rigorous selection process to assess students’ academic ability and potential. This involves at least two interviews, aptitude tests in most subjects, written work in many subjects, predicted grades and attained grades. To maximise students’ chances of success, our Oxbridge Programme staff are all highly qualified subject specialists with expertise in Oxbridge preparation.
Oxbridge candidates receive:
- Specialist help from their personal tutor, subject tutors and the head of year on choosing the university, course, and college that best suits their ambitions and capabilities
- Advice on ‘super-curricular’ activities and extra help with personal statement writing to ensure their application is as competitive as possible
- Specialist help with interview technique from tutors who have both been through the Oxbridge interview process themselves, and who have sat on Oxbridge interview panels
- Guidance with entrance tests (when necessary)
- References written by tutors experienced in the Oxbridge application process
- A visit from an Oxford and a Cambridge admissions tutor to give specialist advice on students’ applications, and an invitation to the open day at the college/s of their choice
In addition, the head of year and other academic staff are available throughout the year for one-to-one consultations on all aspects of students’ applications.